Highlight the correct answer, or type in what you think is correct.
- When, and where was Tupaia born?
- a) Around 1825 in Rā‘iātea
- b) Around 1725 in New Zealand
- c) Around 1825 in New Zealand
- d) Around 1725 in Rā‘iātea
- Rā‘iātea is a part of which larger group of islands?
- a) Samoa b) Tahiti
- c) Rapa Nui d) Micronesia
- What was the name of the British official sent to secure British rule over NZ?
- a) William Johnson b) Abel Tasman
- c) William Hobson d) Captain James Cook
- One day, more people would come – a different kind of people altogether. They would arrive on a canoe with no outrigger and would change everything: “And this land will be taken by them” Vaita said.
Did this prophecy come true? Explain.
→It did come true so Vaita and his people took over Tahiti then Tupaia left Tahiti.
- Only about 20 of the painted hoe that were given to Captain Cook in 1769 by Māori survive.
- a) True b) False
- Describe the role that Tupaia had on board the Endeavour – what did he do on Captain Cook’s ship?
→Tupaia was the navigator. He was the guy that helped him through the way of the ocean and the sea. He was the one who helped him get to New Zealand, he helped them get to other countries.
|WORD||DEFINITION||YOUR OWN SENTENCE|
|interpreter||A person who interprets.||Work with spoken words and communicate orally between two or more languages.|
|diplomat||Person who represents their country||members of foreign services and diplomatic corps of various nations of the world.|
|indigenous||a place-based human ethnic culture that has not migrated from its homeland.||a place-based human ethnic culture that has not migrated from its homeland,|
- Explain the four reasons why Hoe were important, and special pieces of technology for Maori.
→ You could use them as weapons.
→ They could get clothes from them.
→ Because you could use it to make your boats faster
→ They were also used for collecting and transporting food.
- Tupaia (up until recently) and much more Polynesian history remains oral history (that means told by speaking). How can we ensure that this history is available to learn for future generations? Try to come up with at least 2 ways.
→ We can tell his story of how he was a master navigator. He was helping captain James Cook navigate.